Sunday 16 January 2022

The Bloody pit of Horrors begins.

 I've had these Zombies around for several years. They are from Wargames Factory. I'm a call of duty Zombies fan so I had that in mind while painting them. I feel I got close but maybe should have added a bit more glow to the eyes. The Nurgle Daemon is a plastic Herald of Nurgle. 

Not a lot to say about the painting process beyond putting several washes and inks over mostly bright colors was what I did. I want my zombies really nasty looking. as far as skin tones it's ok to use light flesh tones as a base and work up with other skin tones through washes and inks. But the key point is that they should look the part of the zombie and thankfully this gives us a lot of space to work natural flesh tones as well as rotting meat, should we wish too. I've found darker skinned people are more challenging to paint correctly and that achieving a realistic skin tone is fiddley for dark brown or black skin but it is worth the challenge. Not to get on a tangent or anything I just don't care for traditional layering  any more. It quick, mostly easy and get's the job done, it's fine. It translates to table top miniatures sure. If you like it then do what you like. Maybe it wont matter as much on filthy zombies. 
Just remember to find ways to make them pop a little and look interesting and you really can't go too wrong.

On the Daemon I wasn't overly sure where to start so I went with a tan an grey mix as a  base layer. 
Again that daemon is going to get really nasty. And I think at one point during the washes I went back and retouched some of the flesh but added more ink or wash to the mix. For me when painting nasty dirty models lie a rotten daemon I don't feel like i can go too far wrong as long as I don't get it completely wrong from the start. These kinds of models can be similar but not the same and it goes over fairly well so not much reason to stress about them not looking the same. 

Any way enough text.







Still have more work to do to finish the Daemon as you can see.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, these are excellent and horrible! :) :) Really like the massed effect of these, mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just wrapping up 10 more and I may get more from a friend!

      Delete