Thursday 10 March 2022

Flat painting number 3. Harlan meets Crocus.


My DnD group had the idea that my two characters would meet.
And we joked about it for a while until I came up with this rough draft.

I was still working out just what Crocus my Lizard-folk druid would look like. 
I've run more with the theater of the mind on that and have been using a banjo playing Gator-man I found on a google search for my avatar. 

I like that gator-man picture, it's formed how I play Crocus as a sort of lazy lizard but also helpful and mostly good natured character. 

I take a lot of my influence from Sam Keith, you may have heard of him...
I've been a fan of his the MAXX comic from issue 1 way back in the 90's and finish collecting them all just a year or so ago. I'll admit that that story isn't for everyone but I definitely enjoyed the ride.

"Harlan" was patterned from Mr. Gone and Merlin from Excalibur. 
Harlan is not really a nice guy but not truly a bad guy.

Harlan had this habit of eating boiled eggs and drinking beer daily as a fair portion of his sustenance. 
The Frank Reynolds shtick about may I offer you an egg was adopted and I just ran with it. 


Crocus.
This guy, so we got a big paycheck for some work and Crocus heads down to the docks and buys all the shrimp from a ships hold and has it delivered to the bar and boardinghouse. I figured it would be fairly nasty and fun but it turned into bags of "road shrimp" or a "shrimp for the road'. 
More akin to the line, More gopher? 
( O Brother, Where art thou? )

And so here we are.


Oh, the moon is the Moonbeam spell but the Moon is from the mighty Boosh.
Because I've always found that to be both hilarious and genius. 
It works really well for Crocus.

At the time of talking about turning this idea into a picture I thought that it seemed really ambitious and I wasn't sure if I would even attempt to paint this or not. 
To my surprise I painted this yesterday in just a few hours. 

Full disclosure this is only a 3" X 5" canvas. 

Thanks for looking. 


 

2 comments: