Monday 21 February 2022

Zombie Mayhem ! - The Bloody pit of Horrors rule set (Part two)

 



Notes.
Part one can be found here.

https://warhead01.blogspot.com/2022/01/zombie-mayhem-blood-pit-of-horrors-rule.html

And now .. More rules ideas. More Notes at the end.

I'm thinking more about the missions now and adding any game stratagems available to the players and Zombies to the missions sheet. Very easy and open to see to all players but I think there should be some kind of mechanic to unlock them during he game, something reasonable and hopefully thematic to the mission.
So I am wondering about the player units. do we like something like a single hero type unit or a small squad.
Or both. giving the players a bit more choices.
Or mission dictates what the players can field, hero type units or squads.
In this instance a hero type unit could be a HQ choice or something like a Movie Marine where a squad would be a squad of up to like 5 or 6 models tops. (Less is more.)
I was looking at that Ork game pdf and one of the missions was the Orks attacking power station tokens while the Marines were defending. And all of that is on a small board, it's a board game.
So what's out table size? 4X4 might be right, not sure it should be bigger but maybe it would play better on a smaller area?
Still cooking on all of this.
Working on turn based strats, like double move, hold and aim, set to defend and Overwatch
Shoot twice, give um' all you got and just fight already. (a free round of close combat - this could work in every phase.)
Fight again. fall back, Bloody rampage, hold the line, glory kill.
Just working titles to generate rules ideas from, remember cinematic actions. Something like hold the line could be an improved save but require two or more player models in base to base to make a line, maybe it gets better if there are more than two models.
Double shooting would be much like it sounds but Give um' all you got may be just crazy but keep that player model from shooting at all the next turn. So it would have to be over the top to balance out not shooting the next round.
Bloody rampage might be something like exploding 6's or a reroll to wound where as Glory kill could be another attack or auto hit against another target after the player unit/model has slain a target.
Again just ideas and a work in progress.
Powering these "stratagems' could be points earned via kills or holding objectives or finding items as part of a mission or related to where the models are on the table. Not exactly sure about that last one just now. Again cinematic.
The work will continue 20 more Zombies to build and prime.
What do you think about monsters? like how they did it in resident evil?

I put these in a FB group for my friends to see. sorry about that background and color of text. Or, maybe it will only bother me?

Notes. Firstly I have no clear direction as far as designing a game, so I figured as I came up with stuff I would throw it out there and later sort all this out so that it is coherent or maybe a little more organized.

I've never done this before so I'm a total noob. 
I don't think this will get out of hand in the end. I'm not expecting this to be a lot of pages of rules, if anything the fewer rules I create the better because this should be able to sit on top of a game like 40K or maybe Necromunda or Killteam. (Or INQ20 or the like!) Mostly I feel that Zombies, missions to make this madness playable and what the players will field, home brew characters or squads or units from games, as mentioned should be easily sorted by the players and in some cases cross compatible because in the end there are a lot of similarities that players wont have to take issue with as they will be plinking away at loads of zombies. I feel it would be perfectly reasonable for one player to play a Movie Marine and another player to play a squad of IG veterans or a small model count Necromunda gang/warband. With minimal changes as needed to smooth things over. Minimal is key here. we're more interested in fighting off those nasty zombies, that's the whole point! 

I would be thrilled with something like the open war deck for this mod but I will be satisfied with a rule set that is only 2 or 3 pages which I hope will include the following.
Mission, Objectives, Stratagems for that game/mission, Stats for the Zombies, stratagems/game events for the Zombies to keep things exciting, And the player units stats, like a data card for each of the available player units if we play them as home brew characters. The key take away is that everything needed should be within the small number of pages in each players hand, because as a cooperative game with many moving parts this could really speed up the game play when we put more than two players around the table.  another reason I mentioned above that less is more. And if you've read though my Zombie rules part 1 you may see this concept has merit. I do agree that there will be issues but that's just something that will take some testing and game play to iron out, even if it isn't perfect it should be playable. 

As far as Stratagems I am hopeful that game/mission stratagems and events will be a good step in the right direction. I am focused on thematic and cinematic not game winning and not faction specific as such. But I am open to adding those after this thing takes off and I am not planning to add more than a drip, just one or two as decided by the group based on what we, collectively, feel would fit this mod with a splash of faction flavor. 
I have some high hopes. 

Missions?

 Well, I will start with one but Hope to sort out at least 3 more after some play testing and figure by the time mission number 4 is ready I/we will have a formula we like and thus more missions will just spew forth. But really do we need more than 6 ? And if we are changing the table size and deployments wont each mission have more replay? I think mostly they will but I also figure on a set number of "maps" to play on for each mission as some deployments may not really work for some missions. 
But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. "You can't cross that bridge it's too well guarded.." ( Who said that?) Points for correct answers. 

And that's about it for today.

Sorry for the lack f pictures. I'm in the midst of building 20 more Zombies with will bring the count up to about 100 of these nasties. 

More cool pictures and more rules stuff to come stay tuned in! 


No comments:

Post a Comment