Wednesday 15 February 2023

Grizzled old man in cold river - flat painting number 4.

 I'm not much for naming things as it turns out.  

My wife challenged me to turn the last black and white picture into a painting. ( See previous post. ) She thought it would look good in color. So here we are. 




The original scan is much larger. I reduced it to about a third or so of the size for this post. 


If this wasn't bad enough here's the wip pictures.



at this stage in the work I had very very low expectations. I sat here and said, I hate this picture. 


No reason not to press on.


The water is starting to look interesting.


I really like how the snow was coming together.


How about the other shore line. Getting somewhere now.


Flesh tones came out well, not bad just a bit more to do.

The fre on the torch seems to work Fire's never easy to paint.

I think it's too bright and will have to darken it down some who, kinda managed to do that if you can tell from the top picture. Darkind down the water and used a black wash Transparent smoke black airbrush paint.  Extra light from my lamp make this look brighter than it is.

Not too bad I guess.

This was done mostly with Apple Barrel and Folk Art brand craft paint, a little bit of ink added for flesh tones and just a little airbrush paint. Work time was about 5 days a few hours in the evenings and maybe a whole day at the end to wrap it up. Well sort of. There's still room for more when it comes to me.

Thanks for looking. 



2 comments: