Friday 10 December 2021

The future of my Space Orks. 40K and beyond.

 



I'm late to the party again. I just yesterday discovered one page rules. 
I've downloaded all the documents for the rules and army books. I really like the way the army list looks. Very clean and right to the point. I like much of what I have read so far. 

I'm not having a whole lot of fun with 9th edition 40K. I guess that's not really a secret. Not winning a single game is apart of why I don't like it but there's more to it than that. I want to play some open war which I believe will feel more like 40K than GT Matched play does. 

I detest GT matched play, sadly it feels like the only way people want to play. I have one regular opponent and that's the only way he seems willing to play. The whole "getting ready for that next tournament" nonsense is very old and tired at this point. 

I'd love to try Pro-Hammer 40K. It looks like a fantastic version of Das-Warhammer, playing all the old hits.


 


At this point I am really tired of giving up the old for the new. New isn't better because it's new, it's just new. I do not like the itc format and 9th feels way too much like that.
I've played 40K almost exclusively for about 25 years now. I've played a few other games. None of them hooked me like 40K did back in 96'. 

This brings me back around to the topic. ORKS! 

Years ago, maybe 06' I met Pete Haines (You know, the guy behind the 3.5 Chaos codex, that guy. 

He had been running an Ork list made up of only models he could pack into his carry case, for traveling. 
This meant a lot of boys with rokkits and maybe a truck or two. Trukks were much smaller models back then. 
This is the template I am considering now. Something easily packed and toted out for a game. Assuming it's 9th or just for fun. Fun is the goal. 
I feel this will work adequately with Grim Dark Future as well. This came to mind a little while ago when I rediscovered a pile of old tackle trays I used to pack my Orks into way back when before my army moved to ...plastic bags. Bags were more convenient really but there's always models banging into each other and paint chipping from rough handling. I'm the worst. 

I am wondering if an Ork infantry list will play to turn 4 in 9th with the new codex. I got one and have never played from it.  I guess the goal is a sort of all comers list fielding a lot of tank bustas and lootas and loads of boys and grot. I know Grots are for suck now, more than ever before. I'd considered something like this prior to the codex drop. 
I really enjoyed fielding my IG in my last game but those are hard plastic models and very delicate. I really like them but I am worried I will ruin them. Oh, I should also mention that my IG army does have foam trays! unlike my Orks. 

My Ork collection is very large I have it all except for any of the new vehicles and building, new being anything from the 8th edition codex onwards. Frankly I HATE those models and can't see throwing any money at models I genuinely do not like.  But here we are. Once again reminded that it's not our Orks it's GW's Orks. So set our expectations accordingly. 

The list I am cooking up. 
I've hardly put points to paper at his point but I thought just making a list of units that fit the bill, for the concept I mentioned above, is the best way to start. 
We could go a lot of different ways. Do I just max my squishy units, boys ect as mentioned above or try something a little different. I do have 30 Mega Nobs (MANZ) 
So maybe fielding 10 or 15 of them would put me over, I believe they had a points drop in the new book.  I'm less keen on the new KFF rules. It has it's ups and downs. a 6++ kinda sucks but everyone in range gets it, tough call. Maybe just one for turn one or two. But it still cost too much maybe.

Our list.

Warboss (Gor Gak!) 
KFF Big Mek

Weird boy  (PSY secondary)
Weird boy


MANZ

MANZ

MANZ

Tank bustas 

Tank bustas 

Tank bustas 

Kommandos (Line Breaker)

Kommandos

Kommandos

Storm boys (R.O.D.)

Storm boys 

Storm boys

Grots

Grots

Grots

Grots

Boys

Boys

Boys

Boys

Lootas

Lootas

Lootas.

?

?

?

Now that I have this list I'll plug it into battle scribe and goof around with it and see what it turns into. 
The big thing is it wont be optimized and will require several games to learn to play "competently" 


And that's it for today. 

I'm hopeful to find more excitement in my games of either 9th or what ever. 

Thanks for reading. 





No comments:

Post a Comment